Sunday, August 5, 2012

Waterfront Park and Pier

It seems that I mostly take advantage of what our area has to offer when we have out of town visitors with us for a few days. This time was no exception.

The Waterfront Park and Pier has been in my town for about 3 years now. This was my first time going down there. I was not disappointed. We had a view of the underside of the bridge to Charleston.


We had a nice view of the city, the Columbus Street port, and a sailboat---


I love tugboats. I have thought that one of the coolest jobs in the world would be to captain a tugboat since I was a wee little girl.


It was an actual thrill for me to see one in the harbor while at the park.


AND, to top it off, a freighter came along.


It was headed to the port where the husband works so we got to watch it come through the harbor and go around the bend. The tug right along side of it...


And a catamaran.


These three pelicans came flying by- I was able to get one of them in flight.



We had a nice view of the Yorktown also---


And then these guys were gettin' busy under the bridge---rock pigeons, perhaps?



All in all,  a nearly perfect day!

5 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

A lovely set of photos. Water front pictures are special to me since I live in the middle of the prairies.

Stephanie V said...

This is a wonderful side to the city that I might never have known about. Great photos!

Empty Nester said...

Ruth- I'm quite attached to the ocean now. I think it's gotten into my blood so I can't even fathom living inland any more! Thank you for your continued visits to my poor little inconsistent blog!

Stephanie- Charleston is a fun place to visit. I find that we don't do as much looking about as we should. But that's going to change! When y'all get down this way, let me know! I'll go touring with you!

Bill Lisleman said...

that's a cool looking bridge

Empty Nester said...

bill-It's our 'new' bridge. It's only been up for 7 years- the old bridge was here forEVER and scary to travel! LOL