Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Christmas Birds

If you are experiencing an empty nest for the first time (or have been in one for awhile), or about to experience one, my advice is to take up bird watching.  If you're like us, it will lead to many lively discussions with your spouse on bird identification.  Yes, lively.

There were a few birds out enjoying the Christmas season on Christmas Eve at the ponds and in our backyard on Christmas Day and the day after.  Please let me know if he is I am wrong in his my identifications.  I'm in the learning process with these wonderful creatures and always welcome advice/comments/constructive criticism/etc from people other than Hubs.

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season and, believe it or not, it's almost time to wish you all a Happy New Year!

The first shots are either a cormorant or an anhinga (aka, Snakebird).  I leaned towards the anhinga because of the way he was moving his long neck around resembling the movement of a snake.  What do you think?







After searching and searching I think this might be a Yellow-rumped warbler.  Let me know what you think.  This one was very hard to identify!


I'm going with Mockingbird on this one.


CHRISTMAS DAY in the backyard:


Eastern Bluebird

Sparrows?  Warblers?  Wrens?  Oh my!


A downy woodpecker perhaps? 

I'm going with a sparrow of some sort  (wrens and warblers were discussed too).  

Thanks y'all- I stand corrected.  I had this one as a mourning dove but it is an Eurasian Collared-Dove! 


AND THE DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS, in the backyard:

An Eastern Bluebird.

Two House Finches and a Titmouse.

A pine warbler???

Another house finch and the bird yet to be officially identified.

I know this one!  A male cardinal! 






7 comments:

Sondra said...

Im going out on a limb and say you're un-IDd bird is a chipping sparrow-and same thing in the shot with 3 birds at the feeder, some females and males! Welcome to the difficult world of "what bird is it?" lol IT really helps to be bring home a photo of it-and you got some great shots and you have an excellent varitey of birds too!!
Im wondering if the mourning dove may be what I call a collard dove (ring neck) ..I dont see the black spot on the side of the face that the mourning dove has..but I see that black "collar" on the back of the neck. Happy Birding!! Did you get some snow outta that recent storm?

Empty Nester said...

The 'what bird is it' world IS difficult! Especially when there are similarities...it's driving me nuts and, at the same time, I love it!

I believe you are right about the dove!

We did get some snow..there was even some on the deck and car this morning. But not enough to play in!

Emma Anderson said...

I was watching the news and saw that the Eastern Seaboard has a lot of snow - does that include you in SC. Hope you had a lovely Christmas.

Empty Nester said...

We don't get much of that wonderful white stuff down here in the low-country. It dusted slightly and went away. It was sure beautiful while it was falling though.

Ryan Ankeny said...

Great feeder birds, especially the Pine Warbler and Eastern Bluebird. They are beautiful. I think the only bird you misidentified was the dove. It is actually a Eurasian Collared Dove, a recent invader from Europe. And I second the Chipping Sparrow ID. Good pics, keep em coming!

Hilke Breder said...

Nice parade of birds! I agree with Yellow-rumped Warbler. They probably are the most common warbler in the Northeast.

Unknown said...

All birds are beautiful and the photos are fantastic but the cormorants are my favourites. Great job!